Monday, March 19, 2007

Chupete on the Rocks

literature: written works, especially those considered of superior quality or lasting artistic merit.
To paraphrase the OCD, literature is, in the strictest sense, a work comprised of writing, a fortiori if judged to be of superior quality or lasting artistic merit. The first characteristic is objective, while the second two concern aesthetic judgement and are thus subjective. In light of this, is Quino's 10 años con Mafalda literature? Regarding the first characteristic, the answer is unequivocally yes: since 10 anos is a work comprised of writing, it is necessarily literature. Regarding the second two characteristics (superior quality, lasting artistic merit), I would say equivocally yes to the first, equivocablly no to the second. Within the comic strip / historieta genre, Mafalda seems, if not superior, then at least better than average: definitely better than Charlie Brown, but not as good as Bizarro or The Far Side. Malfalda is of lasting merit (we're still reading her years after she was put to rest), but this merit is probably more social than artistic: Malfalda is worth reading today, not for being aesthetically pleasing, but for her world-weary humanism and her bitter but gentle humour.

3 comments:

Stef Hong said...

Hello,
I found it intersting the debate we had in class about whether or not "Mafalda" is considered literature. In my blog, I said no. Thinking about what exactly literature IS, I would say this isn't, solely for the purpose that it seems like the words are to accompany the drawings, rather than the drawings meant to accompany the words, and in this way, the words don't / can't exist without the drawings. However, I can understand the points you make.

Laure said...

U really make a point there when u say it is literature because it is comprised of works, although I'm still skeptic... I think the strip is awesome though!

Dave said...

I agree that it is a series of works. I would even go farther to say there is a slight narrative. For example, anticipating the arrival of Guille, then adapting and growing with Guille. It seems to follow seasons as well, since there are vacations.

I not sure I agree that it is definitely better than Charlie Brown. I think his comics are more timeless. Mafalda definitely has dated fashion in some strips,and refers to the Beatles a number of times.

The humanism and some of the social messages are very timeless, though. Overall, I agree that it is literate. Though there is an inconsistency. Some of the jokes do seem middle or high brow to me, some more appealing solely to young children. But maybe that's the social difference brought up in class. What seems cheezy to me may not be cheezy for a latin american.