Monday, January 29, 2007

The Magic Formula

I suspect Coelho in The Alchemist has discovered the (not so) secret formula for writing an "international bestselling phenomenon", which I will summarize as follows: combine a bit of simplified neuro-linguistic reprogramming psychology (learn positive thinking) with a drop of Westernized Buddhism (live in the now). Add the promise of instant happiness and shameless wealth (the American dream/ protestant work ethic) and voila, a guaranteed place on the New York Times bestseller list. Also, if the author is so inclined, work said elements into a fictional form (the non-fiction self-help market is saturated), preferably of the children's fable variety. This will allow a prospective publisher a fourfold expansion of its target readership, marketing the product to both children (as a new Little Prince) and adults (as a new Candide) as well as to literature and self-help consumers. Essential to this marketing strategy is the literature = prestige equation, according to which consumers who normally wouldn't be caught dead in the pop psych section of Chapters are initiated into the self-help genre and regular consumers of the latter are encouraged to feel they are consuming 'serious' literature. That the author come form an exotic sounding third-world country is also advantageous. This will lend credibility to the essentially American belief that instant happiness is possible. Its a win-win-win formula for all involved.

5 comments:

Laure said...

I will have to say that I agree with you, even if it breaks my heart because I loed this book... Yes, Coelho is writing in a self help format you make a good point... And yes, I would never be caught dead in the self help dept of Chapters. It's true it has a Little Prince type of story and it's like a fable... I guess that makes me a bad litterature lover...

Dave said...

This most definitely is a formulatic book. I think you are very right to mention the fact that people in the north will find the "exoticism" of the author appealing. That's my running criticism of many of my posts - - that people in the north will use the third world to look for their own spirituality, regardless of what the local connotaciones of monuments, such as Machu Picchu, may be.

Jon made a good point that the book perhaps "flatters" more than inspires. I really have trouble seeing where people get real inspiration from this book. Niall, I agree that it can be classed as a "self-help" book, but I have trouble believing that many people have changed their lives becuase of it, other than perhaps evoking some temporary feelings of positive thinking, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, given the hype, I'd like to hear some concrete examples from readers how their lives were actually changed. This book is false in saying that when you have a "personal legend" the world helps you. The book makes this journey falsely easy (even invoking magic). Santiago does have some setbacks, but the book reads so fast that you don't have time to absorb the realities of, for example, being robbed of your life savings in a country that you don't speak the language. The recoveries happen fast and to me overall lacks realistic inspiration.

letty said...

I must say you are quite right about the formulaic form of this book me encanta como has criticado el libro porque sinceramente cada ves me voy dando cuenta de que este libro no es algo que valga la pena tener que leer... tiene demasiado slef helping tips y simplemente no es un libro que categorarizaria yo como un uno de buena calidad! Es simplistico y appealing para todos aquellos que son suficientemente gullible al igual que Santiago, como para creerse toda la positividad que se encuentra en este libro.

ashea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ashea said...

This book definitely could fit under the genre of cildren's fable, that had occured to me as well. I thought it was interesting that you compared it to Candide, this reference also came to mind when I thought about the themes of: returning to the place where you began, the importance of the journey, etc. However, Coelho uses a much simpler model and resembles more of a self-help book. I relunctantly agree with you. I know this book is really poorly written, but I enjoyed the emotional ride nonetheless. Though, I am not sure it "lends credibility to the essentially American belief that instant happiness is possible", there was really no instant happiness and I am not sure readers will take the treasure hunt that seriously.